Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Things I've Learned About Eliminating Dairy from my Diet

1. There are some really scary vegan-style cheese substitutes out there. The un-scary ones are frighteningly expensive.

2. Coca Cola and canned beef soup have dairy in them (caramel color is the culprit ingredient).

3. Soy milk does not have enough fat to support a growing baby's brain development.

4. Breastfed babies tend to turn their noses up at the taste of soy formula. We're going to experiment on L. this evening.

5. Surprisingly, Tex mex is relatively dairy free once you remove the cheese.

6. I am almost willing to pay whatever it costs to get hold of some vegan chocolate. I would probably be completely willing if I knew how the stuff tastes.

7. Chicken nuggets are also contaminated with dairy. There is typically whey in the coating.

8. Deli meats are a bad idea since the same blade that slices cheese could be slicing the meat.

M.W.

2 comments:

Mayberry said...

Hey M.W., I've been reading you for awhile -- found you via a comment on Julie's blog (Mother GooseMouse). My kids are just about the same ages as yours and I'm a veteran pumper too so I can relate to so much of what you say. Just wanted to introduce myself and say good luck with the re-lactating and the dairy withdrawal--you are one strong mama!

Mrs. Wheezer said...

Thanks for the encouragement! Right now I'll take it anywhere I can find it.