Wednesday, March 22, 2006

I Won the Silly Trophy

Just my luck, I guess. I didn't want to win, and I really didn't want to win over the other speaker. He put a lot of time, energy and heart into his speech, and I, well, didn't.

Despite the fact that my speech was a bit of a scrambled mess, and his speech was very carefully crafted and planned (complete with PowerPoint presentation!), people voted me for best speaker. Blegh! All I did was give a cheerleading session on the benefits of joining Toastmasters.

It just goes to show that even in Toastmasters, where we're supposed to be learning how to evaluate a speech and speaker, pizzazz wins. The other speaker, bless him, is an accountant. He talks like an accountant, he walks like an accountant, he has the very smooth, quiet voice of an accountant. He is a kind and wonderful guy, but he doesn't know how to push his personality out front while giving a speech. I hate it when crappy work given with oomph! is better received than quality work given with quiet competence. This is probably why I can't stand American Idol.

M.W.

No comments: