Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Things I Learned While Talking to Our Doctor Yesterday

1. L. is too small to use an epi-pen. Even a dose from the epi-pen jr is too high for her body weight. Overdose from epinephrine can cause heart problems.

2. We should keep Benadryl elixir on hand just in case she starts getting rashy again.

3. Our doctor will consult with an allergist for us. This is actually a relief because getting to our insurance company's allergists involves at least a 1/2 day commitment and a couple hours on the road, plus (based on previous experience) it could take six weeks to actually get an appointment to see the allergist. Our doctor will probably get a response within a week. If I still feel lost after talking to our doctor again, I will keep pushing.

4. The Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network and the Allergy & Asthma Network Mothers of Asthmatics organizations have good info for parents of kids with allergies.

Additional thing I learned today: While my town does not have a single health food store, there are a number of them in the city 90 miles away. A good friend assures me that one in particular offers vegan foods including vegan chocolate!

M.W.

No comments: