Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Who Lit the Fire?

Timeline at work this week (so far):

Monday, 8:00 a.m.: Mover dudes show up with carts for loading stuff out of our wing. Secretaries start hauling stuff off broadsides and out of desks.

Monday, 8:30 a.m.: Two co-workers plus me get together to find out what anybody else knows about impending move. Secretaries know some stuff but don't know what they can tell and what they can't. Mover contractor dude mimes that the entire area is going under construction.

Monday, 10:00 a.m.: Multiple VP's finally get out of their weekly planning meeting. Co-workers and I corner our VP to ask him what is going on.

Monday, 10:15 a.m.: Our VP sits down with two co-workers and me and announces that he and one co-worker will be moving up to the 4th floor auditorium (along with several others) during big construction project. Second co-worker will move to my current office, and I will move to another vacant office (with a window and view of a huge tree). VP has no idea when, but I am to be ready to move first thing Tuesday morning, just in case.

Monday, 1:30 p.m.: Our VP calls a quickie meeting with the entire department. Construction announcement made and additional announcements regarding company restructuring also made.

Rest of Monday afternoon: Files are cataloged and boxed. Decisions are made regarding what is going and what is staying. Speculation flies.

Tuesday, 8:00 a.m.: People with tape measures and clipboards all over the place. Overhead discussion indicates upscale entryway is to be constructed right outside my current office.

Tuesday, 9:00 a.m.: Building guy and phone guy come around getting pertinent info for office moves. Building guy decides my future office needs paint.

Tuesday, 1:00 p.m.: My future office is painted (no more footprints on the wall, yes!). The plan is for me to load up my stuff on carts late this afternoon for a first thing Wednesday morning move.

Construction is scheduled to start Friday.

Whew!

M.W.

No comments: