Thursday, June 22, 2006

Admitting Defeat

I was given a data analysis project back in the latter part of April. My department head (and I!) expected it would take me a few days to complete and then we would be on our merry way. As of five minutes ago, I am giving up on a perfect data analysis.

This is killing me. For the first time in a long time (as in, I cannot remember this ever happening to me before) I am unable to clear up all data inconsistences and I cannot explain them fully. A 3% error, and I have no earthly idea how to explain it. None. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

I hate this. However, life must go on, so I have punted back to the department head, giving him my results thus far and asking if he wants me to continue to pursue the inconsistences. Half of me wants him to say 'Three percent? No sweat.' The other part wants to figure out this ###### problem.

M.W. Why yes, I am a perfectionist. Whatever gave you that idea?

2 comments:

TxGambit said...

Hugs. I am a perfectionist too so I totally understand!

EJ

Tree said...

You go, tiger!

I do understand. And I don't think you're crazy. I would be disappointed, too.