Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Should I be worried?

I've been diligently checking on my kerosene cucumbers each day. Each jar is pulled out of the refrigerator and carefully inspected. I am noticing that my cukes have lost a significant amount of their vibrant green, and are now the greenish-yellow I am accustomed to seeing in store-bought dill pickles.

I am also noticing that the garlic cloves I tossed in are no longer white. They are, in fact, turning green. I'm left to wonder, did they absorb all the greenness that used to be in the cucumbers and/or dill, or do I have a rather interesting science project brewing?

Mr. W. says that when the time comes to open the first jar, I get to sample the first pickle. If I am still alive 24 hours later, he will sample a pickle. If, after another 24 hours, we are both still unpoisoned, the kiddoes will be allowed to eat a pickle.

You just gotta love his faith in my culinary abilities. Of course, if I hadn't already nearly poisoned us with burnt or undercooked food on more occasions than I care to admit, I might be a little sore with him...

M.W.

Double, double, toil and trouble,
Garlic greens and cucumbers bubble...

By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something hazardous this way comes.

No comments: