Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Josie and the Pussycats

The oldies station we listen to on the way home each day has a trivia contest right around 5:30. First person to call in wins whatever prize they have on hand. Typical prizes include movie passes, coffee mugs, t-shirts, etc. Today's question asked what cartoon tv show did CBS premier on September 12, 1970 featuring an all-girl band. I don't know if I should be ashamed or proud of it, but I knew the answer was 'Josie and the Pussycats.' In my frantic speed-redialing of the radio station, I didn't pay a bit of attention to the prize. Mr. W. missed that little bit of information as well. Wouldn't you know that I actually won today? In a stunning bit of irony, my prize is two scratch-off lottery tickets.

You see, I feel the lottery is a tax on the poor, the desperate and the bad at math. I oppose it, and would much rather see a more equitable taxation process over the waste that accompanies the lottery. We all have our pet peeves, and the lottery is one of mine. I strongly suspect that in the end my prize is a mini-manicure (filing down the nails while scratching) and two pieces of paper, but what if I actually win something? Would I breach my moral stand if I collect my prize? Should I take a stand and shred the tickets unscratched? I have never played the lottery or even so much as placed a penny in a slot machine (unless you count the Coke machines at work that are known for popping out anything between 0 and 3 drinks at a time, but I digress).

Realistically, I will collect my prize, and I will scratch off those tickets. If, by some bizarre twist, I actually win anything, I know I will collect my prize. My guilt will be salved with a charitable contribution. It would be nice to win enough to pay for the emergency plane ticket I'm looking into purchasing this week (my very best friend sprained her ankle, lives far away in Minnesota, and could really use some help packing up her apartment for a move that is scheduled to occur on the 23rd).

Temptation, thou art a stupid radio quiz contest.

M.W.

2 comments:

Gretchen said...

Did someone say Minnesota?

Mayberry said...

Of course on the day you know the answer, it's not a coffee mug... well, I'm sure your friend would appreciate it if you win, and IMO it's not a moral sinkhole if you didn't actually spend the money on the scratch-offs.