Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Damn, Damn, Damn, Damn, Damn
Prof. Higgins

L.'s blood test results are not encouraging. Her numbers went down for one protein and remained the same for the others. The allergist says it is up to us whether we do a food challenge. I am at war with myself. Do we bite the bullet and do the challenge, recognizing that she could have one humdinger of a scary reaction? Do we play it more cautiously and wait another year?

A year... A year depriving her of what the rest of us can eat with no qualms. A year of bringing food with us for her when we go out to eat. A year of alienating friends and family by declining invitations. A year of being super diligent without knowing FOR SURE that it is necessary.

I just don't know, and the allergist won't tell us what he thinks we should do. Food allergies are such an unkown, he can't even give us odds on whether she will pass the food challenge.

I am so confused...



Tree said...

Oh, Mrs. W, I would have no idea where to begin to evaluate this decision. Many PV's for you.

Gretchen said...

Maybe wait six months?

As much as I'd want my child to be able to eat "normal" foods... I'd err on the side of caution?

Mrs. Wheezer said...

Thanks, ladies.

Gretchen, that is precisely what I am planning to ask the allergist to do. I figure if she is a little older and has a scary reaction, she will remember it. If she has it right now, I don't think it would make as strong an impression. I want her to fully understand why we keep depriving her of things that look so good.