Friday, February 03, 2006

A Three Year Old's Interpretation of Groundhog Day

S. came home from daycare on Groundhog Day with a styrofoam cup that housed a groundhog on a straw. You push up on the straw and out comes the groundhog, pull down on the straw and the groundhog disappears inside his hole. Apparently, they learned all about Punxsatawney Phil at school today. Curious to hear what all S. had learned I asked her what she knew about Groundhog Day.

S: The groundhog comes out of his hole. He looks around. He goes back in his hole. People play sad music and are very sad.

I guess that pretty much sums up most people's reactions to the news that we will have 6 more weeks of winter. Of course, living here in Texas, S. knows nothing about true winter. Having lived in Germany for 5 years, I know plenty about winter, which is part of the reason I reside here in Texas. Well, that and I married a native, who I doubt would leave even upon threat of painful interaction with fire ants.

M.W.

No comments: