Thursday, May 01, 2008

Offended

This is mostly a rant, I've just got to let this out before I come apart on some unsuspecting soul...
To each and every person who has implied or will imply that Mr. W. and I are anything less than delighted that our third child had the audacity to actually be a GIRL... Back off!!!!! I am getting royally cheesed that ninety percent of the people we know have responded to our wonderful, beautiful, delightful, healthy little girl by asking if we're going to try again for a boy.

Normally, when people say stupid things or imply that I am somehow inferior, stupid, wrong, etc., I let it go. It's just not worth the energy to respond to others' hurtfulness. But, when you ask me if I'm going to keep having babies in order to get a 'desired' gender, you are no longer insulting me! You are implying that my daughter is somehow unwanted, and I can't stand that. It is hurtful to my daughters. Yes, all three of them can be hurt by your stupid questions.

I am in my mid-thirties and Mr. W. is in his forties. Do you realize how fortunate we are that we conceived naturally and easily, and I delivered a beautiful, healthy baby? Do you? How on earth can you respond to our children with anything other than happiness for us? You know something else? I am DELIGHTED our third child is a girl. We have a pretty good grasp on what it means to raise a girl. Raising a boy frightens me a big.

I've heard people asked my grandmother (one of three girls) why she wasn't a boy. That hurt her, and I will NOT permit my daughters to be hurt that way.

Oh, I'm just so angry right now! We've been getting the comments since we first announced we were expecting. Would you believe I received condolences from a couple people when I told them that the u/s showed a healthy girl? Condolences! One induh!vidual mentioned it several times, even after I told her in no uncertain terms that I was nothing but delighted. We attended a birthday party last weekend, and one particularly bad-mannered busybody asked not only me, but also Mr. W. if we were going to keep trying for a boy! In front of my girls!!!! GRRRRR!!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't begin to say how hurt for you I am! 'If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all' should be everyone's mantra. MY grandmother used to say that a lot! Olio

MPPs Mom said...

i can relate. We have a boy, and are expecting a girl. And the same percentage of people tell us how lucky we are to now have the perfect family. It peeves me just the same. I don't know why people say these things.

HUGS

Mayberry said...

Just plain rude -- I can't believe (well, actually, yes I can) that people do it in front of the girls. Morons.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry that people are saying that to you, and especially in front of your girls. We have experienced some of the same, but now when people ask if we'll keep trying for boys, I just tell them the factory is closed (dh had the big V), and besides, I'm too old (40) and had too many problems with the last pregnancy.

People are idiots, without a doubt.

Anonymous said...

Our (single) Sunday School used to decorate a children's hospital every Christmas. I told God I really, REALLY didn't care if I had a boy or girl later, as long as he or she was not as sick as some of those patients. So far, so good!
-Keith