Thursday, August 30, 2007

Four Drop offs and a Funeral

Gee, it has been a long time...


S. started Kindergarten on Monday. Where has the time gone? Her first day, she wanted assurance that Mr. W. and I would hang out with her if necessary. However, once we got to her class, she dove right in and couldn't have said we were there or not. Her teacher had a little gift sack for each set of parents. It contained a little packet of Kleenex and some chocolate to help the mommies and daddies get through the day. A very sweet poem she wrote about the first day of school accompanied the bag and left me boo hooing in the van on the way to daycare.

L. was NOT happy about going to her school without S. She did eventually voluntarily enter her classroom, but she made her displeasure known.


Again on Tuesday, we took S. directly to her classroom. She couldn't wait for us to leave.

L. started a new class at daycare. She refused to walk in her new classroom until she was a couple of her buddies from her previous classroom. I spent a good amount of time discussing L.'s food allergy and pointing out where we keep the epi-pens and how they work. I'm confident these teachers will be just as careful as her last teachers.


Mommies and daddies are not allowed to walk their child to class as of today. I dropped S. off in the designated area. She barely slowed down for me to yell, 'I love you. Have a good day.'

L. went right into her new class and was raring to go. Good times.

I worked obnoxiously late and when I got, home, Mr. W. told me the disturbing story S. told him. She said a boy came into the bathroom while she was in there and touched her privates. She told the teacher, and the boy got in trouble. We did not get a note home or any communication from the teacher about this. I am trying not to go off the deep end. S. doesn't seem traumatized, just annoyed. I am struggling with an urge to drop kick this kid into the middle of next month.

On the other hand, S. brought home some work from school. They are spending the first couple weeks learning how to use their tools. Yesterday, the was glue and scissors practice. I'm really proud of how well she managed to keep her glue contained.


Freddy, the betta fish, is dead. So dead, in fact, that he was starting to stink. We held an impromptu burial service for Freddy out by our front step shortly after breakfast. May he rest in peace. Sucky way for a 5 year old to start her day, losing a pet...

On the way to school, S. confirmed her story about the bathroom incident and added the detail that the boy kicked her as well. I am going to visit with the teacher tomorrow morning. Her conference period is from 8:05 to 8:55, and I need to hear from her what is going on.

Again, L. tripped merrily into her class. I think she really loves the new activities available to her now.

I am leaving for home now, and really hope that we have some sort of communication from the teacher.

I am excited about tomorrow, though. I am taking a long lunch and spending it with S. I haven't told her about it, so it's going to be a surprise.


Gretchen said...

Please call the school re: the bathroom incident...

Otherwise, glad to hear things are going well!

mayberry said...

That is upsetting! I hope you can figure it out and the teacher is helpful.

aimee / greeblemonkey said...

yes yes yes - call the school not just the teacher about the incident!!

But other than that (which I am so sorry about) - glad the rest of the week was good.